Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing one watch with three

Replacing one watch with three

When I first started accumulating watches about 15 months ago, I bought this 1961 Seiko, which wasn't running properly:

Name:  Pink seiko 1.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  66 hands.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  30.7 KB

I hadn't really started thinking too carefullly about case sizes, and didn't really appreciate how tiny it would be - it's no more than 32mm. I sent it for a needlessly expensive service and set about getting very fond of it, despite the bashes in the case and the chips in the dial.

Thanks to the combination of its size and its condition it never became a daily wearer, and I find that my more recent purchases have been replicating elements of it:

(a) being a good-looking Seiko that looks great in dark evenings:

Name:  sl18.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  44.7 KB

(b) full-on silver sunburst with slightly scalloped/stretched/tapered dauphine hands

Name:  zg20.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  36.5 KB

(c) being fairly small, all dial, and totally delicious

Name:  Luch 3.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  37.9 KB

Unfortunately the chips in the 1961 Seiko's dial have started to crumble and make the hands dirty and so I'm going to have retire the watch to the unworn cupboard, where it will take up residence alongside a 2000 Hugo Boss and a 2013 Rodina, watches kept for sentimental reasons. Hopefully one day I'll find a mid 1960s Seiko that is in need of a 66 movement in great condition, and it can become a donor watch. Meanwhile, most the characteristics I love in it live on in these other three.
    Last edited by Der Amf; Feb 5, 2015 at 07:53 PM.

2. Likes popoki nui, iyonk liked this post
    It has a beautiful patina and might be worth restoring?

Reminds me of an old Hi-Beat.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

4. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    It has a beautiful patina and might be worth restoring?

Reminds me of an old Hi-Beat.
    I've thought long and hard about this and thought of all the possible options, and I've decided that I would rather not risk throwing good money after bad: not only has the dial two areas crumbling badly but the case is fairly battered too.... and in the end, it is a smidge too small for me by a couple of mm. And I'll still have the pleasure of owning it

6. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Did you not go for the donor watch we discussed a few weeks ago?
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

8. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Do you have a lady friend who might like it, if you brought it back up to snuff and put a nice strap on it?

10. Likes scottjc, Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    Did you not go for the donor watch we discussed a few weeks ago?
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    It went for a really really dumb price for a bust watch. Even beyond my stupid. And also I wasn't stupid for the design itself, so I was happy to let it slip, tbh

12. Likes is that my watch, scottjc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Do you have a lady friend who might like it, if you brought it back up to snuff and put a nice strap on it?
    My only female friend with any interest in watches at all wears this:

(That's my wrist though)

So, no, no mileage in that plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    It went for a really really dumb price for a bust watch. Even beyond my stupid. And also I wasn't stupid for the design itself, so I was happy to let it slip, tbh

Fair play, we waste enough money as it is on things we actually want without chasing ones we don't really care for.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

15. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My only female friend with any interest in watches at all wears this:

(That's my wrist though)

So, no, no mileage in that plan.
    Oh, well. At least that's not her wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    Fair play, we waste enough money as it is on things we actually want without chasing ones we don't really care for.
    It went for twice what I thought was reasonable.