Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I saw the SPAM discussion from this morning

Blog Entries

Lightbulb I saw the SPAM discussion from this morning

Just wanted to clarify a few things. I probably delete 50-100 spam signups per day. Geoffbot and Gabe probably also do the same. I'm doing most of it these days and I can't ferret out the spammers as well as Geoffbot and Gabe so a few more may get by me. Every so often one looks legit but it's not. We do a pretty good job of weeding out most of the riff raff that try to sign up. There was a post at 3am my time so it lingered for about 3.5 hours. But rest assured we try to cover all timezones but there will be times when it does happen. Just report it and we will take care of it. Everyone here, including site admin and moderators have jobs and families but we do our best to not inconvenience you with these spammers nonsense. And rest assured it's always nonsense. So my apologies for letting these get by me. I will learn the ropes a bit better soon and we will be good to go.

true we can do our bit too by reporting them if we see them as I said before us member can report post if we think the mods need to see them by clicking on the triangle bottom right of the post and say why you feel the mods need to look at it and press send

think they do a great job but can't see and be everywhere all the time so we can help them help us then less spam will get through
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

3. Likes Broker liked this post
    You do a good job. I have to battle spammers over at EoT, which is a much smaller place, and that is more than enough for me.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    You do a good job. I have to battle spammers over at EoT, which is a much smaller place, and that is more than enough for me.
    The last time Geoff and I worked on a total cleanout it was over 6500 spam accounts that had registered. That's crazy to me.

6. Likes Henry Krinkle, Mystic Nerd liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    true we can do our bit too by reporting them if we see them as I said before us member can report post if we think the mods need to see them by clicking on the triangle bottom right of the post and say why you feel the mods need to look at it and press send

think they do a great job but can't see and be everywhere all the time so we can help them help us then less spam will get through
    Yep, the little triangle works wonders. But there may still be some lag with overlap of time zones for us.

8. Likes is that my watch, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    I never realised it was going on such a scale and required such manual effort. Aren't there bots available to counter the spam bots?

It was removed just at the point where it was going to turn into a Spider-Man thread

Name:  QaVq3ja.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  114.1 KB
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    I never realised it was going on such a scale and required such manual effort. Aren't there bots available to counter the spam bots?
    There’s a fine line between lax registration checks and lots of spam, and extra tight security checks and genuine applicants being declined or simply being put off registering.
    Depending on the software there might not be a decent plugin to counter spam.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

12. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    There’s a fine line between lax registration checks and lots of spam, and extra tight security checks and genuine applicants being declined or simply being put off registering.
    Depending on the software there might not be a decent plugin to counter spam.
    This. We opted for the latter.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

14. Likes Seriously, Henry Krinkle, rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Broker View Post
    Just wanted to clarify a few things. I probably delete 50-100 spam signups per day. Geoffbot and Gabe probably also do the same. I'm doing most of it these days and I can't ferret out the spammers as well as Geoffbot and Gabe so a few more may get by me. Every so often one looks legit but it's not. We do a pretty good job of weeding out most of the riff raff that try to sign up. There was a post at 3am my time so it lingered for about 3.5 hours. But rest assured we try to cover all timezones but there will be times when it does happen. Just report it and we will take care of it. Everyone here, including site admin and moderators have jobs and families but we do our best to not inconvenience you with these spammers nonsense. And rest assured it's always nonsense. So my apologies for letting these get by me. I will learn the ropes a bit better soon and we will be good to go.
    You're doing a great job - no need to apologize.

I had no idea these 'things' were so active.

16. Likes Seriously, hayday, Greg liked this post