Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servicing costs of MM300

Servicing costs of MM300

I am thinking of getting myself another Seiko, and there are 2 that I am considering - the Sumo and the MM300.

I have been reading up on these two, and have some idea of the differences. One last piece of the puzzle that will help me make a decision (other than trying it on) is the cost of service. I know this will happen a few years down the road, and I would just like to include this as part of the equation.

I read that it is easier to service the Sumo (most competent watch maker can do so without having to send back to Japan), while not so with the MM. Has anyone ever had their MM serviced, and if so, was it sent back to Japa? What was the cost of the service?

Thanks in advance.

Can't help you as I've never had the MM300 (I know, I know) but where do you live? I hear the US service centre is getting their sh*t together to service these. Just please, please wait till Basel till you make any rash seiko diver decisions. I hear there will be new divers

Thanks, Domo.

I live in Singapore. We do have a AD here. Their MSRP are so ridiculous that this is the only time I am palnning to buy a watch from other sources. So, I can almost forget about going to them for servicing.

I was really smitten by the SBDX012, but, alas, I can't justify the big price difference, just because it's a LE.......I suppose I am feeling this way only because I am contented with the Sumo or the MM.

i will definitely heed your advise and wait.

Thanks again.

4. Likes Domo liked this post
    Seiko USA is not the best choice as they are hit or miss based on past experience, so living aboard in Singapore is to your benefit.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Seiko US did fine on my two SD (GS Diver and MM600) but I don't know about 300 or some of the Tuna that are top assembly. I modded a few and it doesn't really take any special tools, but they have a bunch of gaskets that need to be installed in a specific order. I took piles of pics when I did it each time.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

7. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    I had my MM300 serviced this year after it developed a problem. My local watchmaker would have serviced it for $85 had it not needed parts. It needed parts and went back to Japan through Seiko USA as I recollect it was a bit under $400 for a full service.

9. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    I had my MM300 serviced this year after it developed a problem. My local watchmaker would have serviced it for $85 had it not needed parts. It needed parts and went back to Japan through Seiko USA as I recollect it was a bit under $400 for a full service.
    Thanks for the note. Well appreciated. For $400, I think it's acceptable, since it also needed parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nutty28 View Post
    Thanks, Domo.

I live in Singapore. We do have a AD here. Their MSRP are so ridiculous that this is the only time I am palnning to buy a watch from other sources. So, I can almost forget about going to them for servicing.

I was really smitten by the SBDX012, but, alas, I can't justify the big price difference, just because it's a LE.......I suppose I am feeling this way only because I am contented with the Sumo or the MM.

i will definitely heed your advise and wait.

Thanks again.
    I'm in SG too and looking for an MM300 but with Basel looming large, I too will be waiting to see what comes out.

You're right, MSRP from TS is ridiculous but you can try looking for one on the local forums provided you can move fast enough.

The service cost issue is interesting for me too obviously, but I think the prices quoted have been rather reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by KingK View Post
    I'm in SG too and looking for an MM300 but with Basel looming large, I too will be waiting to see what comes out.

You're right, MSRP from TS is ridiculous but you can try looking for one on the local forums provided you can move fast enough.

The service cost issue is interesting for me too obviously, but I think the prices quoted have been rather reasonable.
    Great to see another fellow SG here.

The good thing is I am in no hurry with this, and for the amount of money on the MM, I think I have other options to chose from.

Are you also sourcing locally? Have not explore this route yet, as I have been looking out for the MM from Seiya or Higuchi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing with Seiya & Higuchi is that even with the weak Yen, once you ship it over and pay GST, it becomes quite expensive.

Have you tried Top Time?