Likes Likes:  77
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Coffee

We haven't a dedicated thread for it so...now we do! Just got a manual ceramic burr grinder to replace my electric blade unit. Haven't tried it yet but I'm excited to. Sumatra beans from the supermarket, aeropress and vacuum storage. I'm only just starting out really - not exactly at the roast my own stage yet.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1424004576629.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  38.4 KB
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

2. Likes Steppy, muddy250 liked this post
    I've never heard of one of them before. Presumably the thingy wotsit grinder can achieve something the usual electric rotating blade "grinder" can't....?

Oooh great idea. Love proper coffee.

I use a french press/cafetiere to make it. I buy the beans from https://www.realcoffee.co.uk but store them in the freezer as thats what they recommend. They have a great choice of coffee beans from around the world.

I still use an electric grinder, would like to hear your comments on taste with a burr grinder.

Aeropress?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've never heard of one of them before. Presumably the thingy wotsit grinder can achieve something the usual electric rotating blade "grinder" can't....?
    They say the spinning blades burn the coffee or something. Either way mine was a bit broken, and its messy - coffee spills everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Oooh great idea. Love proper coffee.

I use a french press/cafetiere to make it. I buy the beans from https://www.realcoffee.co.uk but store them in the freezer as thats what they recommend. They have a great choice of coffee beans from around the world.

I still use an electric grinder, would like to hear your comments on taste with a burr grinder.

Aeropress?
    Have I not plugged it enough?! It's the best coffee maker ever, according to lots of people. I have to add milk and sugar to everything else, but with the aeropress I drink it straight up.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1424005125583.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  54.8 KB

Basically a syringe with a filter on the bottom through which the coffee and water is pressed. I cannot recommend highly enough. Twice as nice as cafetier imo. £25 from Amazon.

No afil.

6. Likes Steppy, Der Amf liked this post
    Dammit Geoff you enabler, gonna have to resist buying this now. First the DE shaver, now this !!

8. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    I have an aeropress, I mainly just take it will me into the bush. And yes, it makes an excellent cuppa. At home, I have an electric burr grinder: nothing crazy, a nice unit by Breville that does a very admirable job. I have a french press I used to use quite a bit, but I mainly use a chemex now, with paper filters. I went and bought a very nice permanent steel filter, but the paper ones are just better.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Good thread Geoffers. I thought about starting one, but didn't.

I used to use a french press, but I have since changed to using a Chemex with paper cone filters. I find the coffee to be cleaner than using a french press. Never tried an aeropress.

I grind my beans with a conical burr grinder. I get fresh beans from a local coffee house that roasts weekly. Usually I get some variation of Sumatra.

I have been pondering buying a coffee roaster and having a go at roasting my own beans.

11. Likes muddy250, geoffbot liked this post
    Old faithful Gaggia Classic (with Silvia wand modification ) and a Graef CM800 grinder for me.
    Great beans from Bailies in Belfast, post free if you buy two bags and for some reason they send me a 10% off next order code EVERY time I buy which is once a month. Bargain and a HUGE improvement over supermarket beans which can have been roasted months ago. They only stay fresh after roasting for a few weeks so this is one area where you can make a massive difference very easily. Get fresh roast.

I'd urge caution getting into this, there are forums of course Geoff and they are very dangerous indeed, I'd say far worse than watch forums. So much so that I frequent them rarely and only when there's a need for direct information. Some of the kit and it's cost has to be seen to be believed and i have to keep it in proportion and remember it's only coffee...it's just a watch, or a pushbike, or a razor or ... repeat after me. I do not need a roaster ...

Attempt at poncy latte art ...

I normally just swirl it in though

an "ohcrapuccino"

and one with the AT, just because I love the AT so much :-)

Last edited by muddy250; Feb 15, 2015 at 02:02 PM.
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

Muddy - I have also been thinking about getting an espresso machine. It starts out with looking into something like the gaggia or saeco machines, but then I think for a little more I could get the Sylvia, then I think why not go for a double boiler machine and the next thing you know I have spent $2500 (in my mind). And so I don't get anything...

Something like this would be tops in my mind:

but I am also intrigued by the lever machines:

I have an inexpensive espresso machine that does the job for the moment.