Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice: Speedy bracelet fell apart

Seeking advice: Speedy bracelet fell apart

Last night, the lovely Missus db and I, and our friends Bob and Mary, were out at a brass quintet concert. At the end of one piece, I applauded vigorously, and my brand new used Speedmaster Broad Arrow fell into my lap. The link that attaches to the end link came apart. I gathered up the parts of the link that had fallen to my feet, and put it all together when I got home.

Now, it seems to be OK, but I have little confidence that it is secure. This bracelet, I have observed, and as many of you will know, consists of links that are essentially 5 link-elements that make up the width of the link. They are held together by 3 pins, so it's a bit more complex than a simple link.

The question: in order to assure future safety of my lovely Broad Arrow, can I trust a local watchmaker to look at it? My local jeweler? An Omega independent? Only Omega service? Can this be done without losing possession for weeks? (Sure, I can put the watch on a strap, but I'd rather not.) Or should I just go to concerts featuring terrible performers so I won't feel the need to applaud?

Thanks, speedyguys & speedygals.
    Updated after some divestment:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

2. Likes JAGtime, Der Amf liked this post
    Yikes! Since it is new to you, there is a possibility that it was not assembled correctly. Perhaps the seller had worn it on a different strap and just put it back on the bracelet prior to selling it.

If you have an Omega boutique nearby, that may be a good place to have it looked at. When I took a Speedy in that was having some issues, they were very attentive and happy to have their tech take a look at it before it was finally sent off the Omega for servicing. Since they are more familiar with Omega products I would feel more comfortable getting the all-clear from them rather than a watchmaker that sees that type of bracelet every once in a hundred watches.

If you have spare links, it is worth finding out if the pins are held in place with a collar of some kind. Those collars are tiny and easily lost when resizing bracelets.

I have googled the heck out of "broad arrow bracelet" and all the stock images show chunky links, which are probably collar and pin links. A colleague of mine has that same problem with their Seamaster - he lost the collar and his pin occasionally peeks out.

Applauding vigorously at a brass concert did that good thing you weren't in a mosh pit at a heavy metal concert.

7. Likes JAGtime, dbakiva, Chronopolitano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by -JP View Post
    Applauding vigorously at a brass concert did that good thing you weren't in a mosh pit at a heavy metal concert.
    Db don't mosh.

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

9. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ck View Post
    If you have spare links, it is worth finding out if the pins are held in place with a collar of some kind. Those collars are tiny and easily lost when resizing bracelets.
    Yes, I think I may have missed one of the link tubes when I was gathering up the parts from the floor. It all fits together, but if I try, even slightly, to pull at the link, it slides out a bit, so I can see it is not secure. I was planning on stopping today at a local watchmaker to have him look at another watch, so I think I'll ask him to take a look at this. My thought is that it will need a new link tube.

Can you post some photos of the bracelet?
    Dan :: Ball/ Benarus/ Boschett/ Damasko/ Doxa/ IWC/ Longines/ Omega/ Precista/ Rolex/ Seiko/ Sinn/ Tudor/ Tutima.

It seems likely that a collar was missing when you bought it. An Omega dealer should have the relevant part. So might any other watchmaker, but they might have to order it. I'd be perfectly happy for any watchmaker or competent workshop to fix it.

13. Likes dbakiva liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chicago View Post
    Can you post some photos of the bracelet?
    OK, here is one with the link pulled out to show the pins:

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  81.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It seems likely that a collar was missing when you bought it. An Omega dealer should have the relevant part. So might any other watchmaker, but they might have to order it. I'd be perfectly happy for any watchmaker or competent workshop to fix it.

I think you're probably right, Tribe. I contacted the Omega Boutique in Oakbrook, and they were kind enough to check, and they have the collar, so I'll stop over there later and they'll put it in, and show me other toys. They say they'll charge a dollar. Gasoline will be much more.

15. Likes JAGtime liked this post