Likes Likes:  1

Thread: complete list of Bond watches?

complete list of Bond watches?

What with the annual Bond marathon on cable - I wonder if anyone has a *complete* list of Bond watches. I've seen a few unexpected product placements - including what looked like a Seiko Quartz. So - does the definitive list exist? [I'm watching "You Only Live Twice" right now...and not a watch in sight. Some interesting autos - but no watches.

Blog Entries
    Dell Deaton has a comprehensive list of Bond watches from the films on his own website;

www.jamesbondwatches.com

Although, for me, the jury's still out on what watch Connery wore in the classic introduction scene from Dr No. Mr Deaton says it was a Gruen Precision, but I dunno.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

3. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    . Mr Deaton says it was a Gruen Precision, but I dunno.
    What do you think it is?

I am not fully convinced either but his evidence is the best I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    What do you think it is?

I am not fully convinced either but his evidence is the best I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have no idea what watch it could have been. Every brand under the sun was producing thin mechanical watches on straps back then. And this screen cap doesn't give anything away, except for how nicely manicured Connery's fingernails were;

"By all accounts this was a critically important James Bond watch choice among considerations for defining the character. During my extensive discussions with both John Cork, co-author of James Bond: The Legacy, and Ron Quelch, production buyer on Dr No, this perception was consistently reinforced."

-taken from http://jamesbondwatches.com/watchmakers/gruen/

Mr Deaton has done a lot of work and research regarding the watches used in the Bond films, but this last section leads me to think that the Gruen is considered to be the first watch, rather than any iron-clad proof.
    As you say, 93EX, his evidence is the best so far, but it leaves me with just a smidgin of doubt. If I saw a photo of Connery putting on the dinner jacket off-set, with the Gruen watch clearly visible on a table next to him, then I'd be inclined to agree. However, no such photo exists, as far as I've seen. I'd like to think that there's some Wardrobe Department paperwork buried in the archives of EON Productions that clearly states what watch was actually used, but until Taschen Publishing puts out a glorious hardback with this information in it, we'll never know for certain.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    I'd like to think that there's some Wardrobe Department paperwork buried in the archives of EON Productions that clearly states what watch was actually used

Highly unlikely, I'd say. We can forget that back in 1962 Dr. No was a relatively low-budget film without the emphasis on props and styling that we might expect today. In fact, the focus on Bond's watches in the early films is almost certainly out of all proportion to the attention that they received from the film-makers.

It is a great starting point.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    What with the annual Bond marathon on cable - I wonder if anyone has a *complete* list of Bond watches. I've seen a few unexpected product placements - including what looked like a Seiko Quartz. So - does the definitive list exist? [I'm watching "You Only Live Twice" right now...and not a watch in sight. Some interesting autos - but no watches.
    This site has a list under gadgets
    http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/gadgets
    There's nothing important to read here.