Likes Likes:  54
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another preowned watch from Tourneau: Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition

Great find! I came across one locally and thought about buying it, but I went for a Speedmaster instead.

2. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Stunning watch Rick. I'm not really a chrono guy but that Carrera is simply beautiful. The after sales service sound excellent too, real icing on the cake.
    Enjoy and wear it in good health.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

4. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Thanks rick - I enjoyed that.

6. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Very nice and retro. Love the hint of blue on the dial.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

8. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Love it- I have lusted after that watch for 25 years.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

10. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Nice find Rick. Perhaps this once, I have beat you to the punch.

Name:  Heuer Wrist.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  47.2 KB

Here is mine, which I have owned since Mr. Maddox was around. I toyed with the idea of owning it since it has essentially the same movement as my Speedy Pro. He convinced me I should get it.

Name:  Heuer Face Down.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  42.7 KB

I really like the clean design. Very legible.

Name:  Heuer Back.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  28.3 KB

Caseback could have been better executed. Nothing like the crisp writing of my Speedy Pro.

Name:  Heuer Mvt.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  81.4 KB

And there it is. The Speedy Pro, for reasons I can't say, is a far better time keeper. That said, this Tag is my talisman. I have successfully interviewed every job I wore it to since the early 2000s.

Dan "Thanks for making me bring this bad boy back up to the top" Ravenna

12. Likes Rdenney, FuzzyB, synequano liked this post
    The poor engraving quality of the writing around the edge of the case back is what tells me it was added after the watches were already in stock. It looks like a jobber did it and not the case manufacturer. The Heuer logo and the reference number are stamped, not etched. But it was done exactly as they would have done it in 1963, when Heuer made watches for functional duty, so I'm not surprised at the workmanlike finish.

After three days of measuring time several times a day, with a normal-wear protocol including morning winding daily wear, and no concern at all about resting position, the best-fit rate has been +4.6 with no data point varying from that by more than a second per day. It's regulated slightly fast but that is very good timing indeed.

Rick "noting that Mr. Maddox, a confirmed Omegaphile, sought to own every variation of these" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

14. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    There were three dial choices in those first offerings.
    Actually, in the first production run sold in 1996, there were only two dials: the black and the white.
    The white was also available in a gold case making three model line-up in the original release.

The first (limited) Monaco (target dial) re-issue followed the year after which was replaced one year later by a (regular) 3-dial model.

In 2000, the Carrera line had been expanded to include a three hander, a gmt and two more dial options for the chronograph.

the four chronograph dials.

my personal favourites are the white on rally strap and the daytona rings on bracelet (non-original original guy freres "grains/beads of rice")

The white/silver dial looks a little plain with it. The black looks okay-ish but the rings gives a little bit of continuity between the dial and the bracelet that the plain dials seem to lack. It's probably also why the 2447NS and SN models look so good on the bracelet too.

16. Likes geoffbot, rfortson, GlennO liked this post
    Awesome looking piece!! What a great find! Really like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    Actually, in the first production run sold in 1996, there were only two dials: the black and the white.
    The white was also available in a gold case making three model line-up in the original release.
    Chuck Maddox thought it was 1997/1998 when they were thinking about reviving the old lines, but I don't know myself. If Dan bought his new, he might remember the year--his has a very low serial number and is certainly from the first batch.

I should have said the first three offerings were different case and dial combinations. There were three reference numbers (CS3140--gold with white dial, CS3110, steel with white dial, and CS3111, black dial). The Daytona-rings dials were in the second batch of models, reference CS3112 and CS3113. All of these had the Lemania movement. Subsequent models were made after TAG-Heuer lost access to Lemania.

Or, so says Mr. Maddox.

Rick "curious as to why they selected the decimal minutes version to re-edit" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.