Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercompressor Homage build

MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries

Supercompressor Homage build

I have just finished assembling this Compressor homage from parts sourced online, a few people suggested it might be of interest to other watch enthusiasts so here goes.

I suppose it all really started with the Eaglemoss Military Watch Collection.
    I'd always intended to maybe buy one or two genuine Vintage watches eventually, but when I discovered affordable homage watches several mechanical watches found their way to my door.
    The first 6 Eaglemoss watches were easy to find, G10 infantry, b-UHR pilots, Mil-sub divers, even Marina-Militare, all were available to buy under £200, then came issue 7, The 1960s Australian Divers Watch.

It was easy to find the watches that were the original inspiration for the watch,
    DROZ supercompressors were used by the Australian Navy, a bit more investigating and I found models by Jeager Le Coultre, Longines, Wittnauer, Olma. All in the same or very similar case.

I was liking the style very much, but affordable? Not really. £1500 at least.
    There didn't seem to be any homages around either, so my Compressor would have to wait for the Lottery win.

Then a chance search for set of hands for a Miyota 8215 movement led me to a French seller making kits of various dials in compressor style cases ready to accept 8215 movements.
    Quick calculation; case, dial, hands £121 + movement £22 the strap? I have just the thing! under £150 ! check bank, Buy...

A few days later and the movement arrives. The Miyota 8215 is surprisingly small, I've never seen one out of a case before, and I wonder how the date is going to line up with the window.

I measure a Gigandet Sea-Ground and I'm surprised, the 26mm diameter is clearly big enough.
    Next day and the Case, dial and hands arrive, very happy.
    40mm case, 20mm lugs, 45mm lug to lug, crystal has a nice 4mm dome. Crowns are 6mm diameter and the timer bezel turns smoothly with no slack.

The dial has a matt finish and the luminous hour marks have just the hand painted antique colouring I was hoping for.

Here's the gathered pieces with the MWC inspiration.

I didn't get as many assembly pictures as I should have really, too exited/nervous I guess.
    Dial on movement and loose fitted into spacer ring. I took the rotor off and let down the mainspring.
    I advanced the movement till the date was just starting to move, Centred onto the hand press, it's ready for a steady hand...

20 minutes and some shaking and cursing later, and it's hands are on, a few turns on the winder, a minute more, the second hand passes the 12 with room to spare.

Now into the case, hang on, something's missing,
    The D shaped retaining plates, that I now know are called Case Clamps, there aren't any with the movement, or the case! I scrabbled round in my little box of tiny screws and pieces, one.
    I only have one! Arrgh!

Fortunately there are people on this community that are happy to help in time of need and the additional four are soon in the post. Thanks again.

Case fitted it's time to set the stem length, measure twice-cut once. No! make that measure three times.

So here it is, In the sunshine, on a neutral coloured Hadley Roma leather

And in the evening, lume is great.

Now I think it deserves a perlon strap....

The Rotor on the Miyota is one way only so there is that occasional "spinning out of control" sound from the movement, but I know that becomes less obvious in time.
    I have read that tiny amounts of silicon grease can be used to reduce the noise, but I'm not sure if that will cause other problems later on.
    If it's really annoying you can take the rotor off and go manual only.
    There's also the infamous 8215 "stutter, caused by the necessary tiny amount of slack between the drive and pinion gears of the second hand.
    It effects all watches with an indirect sweep seconds hand, including Omega
    I'm not being over clever here, I looked up a lot of this information before I bought my Gigandet, but importantly does not effect the watches timekeeping.

Some borrowed pics below.
    An explanation of what a "Supercompressor" case ishere http://scubawatch.org/EPSA_SC_FAQ.html
    It refers to a patented case sealing method developed by watch case manufacturer Ervin Piquerez S.A. (EPSA).

All true Supercompressors, no matter what manufacturer will have this patent/brevet mark either inside or outside of the case.

There are so many images of supercompressors online, the case was very robust and movements high quality so many survive, just not enough to make prices low.

The hands and case on mine look to be inspired by the Olma Caravelle,

but the pointed indices remind me more of the Droz.

looks great mate for £150 and you had the fun of building it to so all round good fun
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Looks superb. Great job.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Super LIKE!

So, it's a kit?

How can I get one? or two?

Or, do you intend to sell a few?

MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Super LIKE!

So, it's a kit?

How can I get one? or two?

Or, do you intend to sell a few?
    The case/dial/hand kits are on e-bay from France. The 8215 movement are easily sourced, the tricky thing is the 'case clamps'. you need 5 and the inside two have very small screws.

A couple of people have asked if I'd make more.
    To be honest this is is the most expensive watch I've put together myself.
    Other than an odd battery change, most of my tinkering has been at the sub £50 mark, and usually on stuff that was in a poor state to start with.
    The idea of damaging something while putting it together was a bit nerve jangling, but the most expensive part I felt I was going to damage was only £22. the movement.
    I've been repairing far more expensive items for years but the "cost" of messing up has usually been on a companies books.
    I'd have to think carefully before offering to assemble one for somebody else.

6. Likes Chronopolitano, Smeagal, Der Amf liked this post
    I'm seriously impressed, both with your resourcefulness and the finished watch.

8. Likes Der Amf, Chicolabronse liked this post
    Beautiful build!

I've seen these kits too, and have been tempted, but never dared to get one myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Churchy View Post

I have just finished assembling this Compressor homage from parts sourced online, a few people suggested it might be of interest to other watch enthusiasts so here goes.

The hands and case on mine look to be inspired by the Olma Caravelle,
    Very nice watch. Do you have a link to were you go the case?

Also OMG that Olma. I love Olma now I need that in my life.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

11. Likes is that my watch, sdale2 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Very nice watch. Do you have a link to were you go the case?

Also OMG that Olma. I love Olma now I need that in my life.
    Not OP but saw this while browsing eBay, the seller is 'WATCHES-MANIA'

Wow, awesome! Nice watch, great job!

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.