Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VACATION! What to pack?

VACATION! What to pack?

Yup, I'm migrating this thread. So this was my initial packing list for previous years:

1 t-shirt+ underwear per day
    1 hiking shoes
    1 flip flops
    1 pants
    4 shorts
    3 swimming trunks
    1 watch- probably a protrek
    1 sunglasses+ reading glasses
    1 beach towel
    1 iphone + charger
    1 ipad or laptop
    1 ipod touch ( for my daughter)
    1 e-reader
    1 camera+ charger + 2 batteries
    1 folding knife
    1 hat
    sunscreen
    toothbrush+toothpaste+ shower gel
    deodorant
    assortment of 1st aid stuff -ointment, bandaids, bandages, scissor, tweezer, and hydrogen peroxide + pills - tylenol and imodium + something for bee stings
    1 flashlight
    1 longsleeve item, either a jacket or a pullover

And this is the follow up conclusion of what I actually used:

I used Swimming trunks everyday, and flip flops every day. I used my hiking shoes only three times, used two pairs of shorts and did not use pants at all. I did need the first aid kit as I did a small gash on my head when I banged it when entering a small door, and my wife sliced open one finger. Used all t-shirts, and did not use the long sleeve. All in all I packed Ok, I did have use for all the gear I took with me. Had to buy extra sunblock and "after sun" lotion as it was scorching all week.

So this Year I'm thinking:

1 t-shirt+ underwear per day
    1 hiking shoes
    1 flip flops
    3 shorts
    3 swimming trunks
    1 sunglasses+ reading glasses
    1 beach towel
    1 iphone + charger
    1 ipad or laptop
    1 ipod touch ( for my daughter)
    1 camera+ charger + 2 batteries+ 1 film camera
    1 folding knife
    1 hat
    sunscreen+after sun lotion
    toothbrush+toothpaste+ shower gel
    assortment of 1st aid stuff -ointment, bandaids, bandages, scissor, tweezer, and hydrogen peroxide + pills - tylenol and imodium + something for bee stings
    1 flashlight
    1 longsleeve item, either a jacket or a pullover

Adding some background, I'll be traveling by car, going inland to a farm for a couple of weeks, we will spend our time in the pool and driving around, last year we found a music festival that we went to and ended up getting a good use for the long sleeve for the first time, so this year I'm packing it again. It will be scorching during the day and mildly cold at night, not so cold that long pants are required but cold enough to need more than a T-shirt. Got a very nice bee sting last year, and there are plenty of mosquitos, and every now and then some scratches and cuts, so the first aid is a must.

I ditched the e-reader since I now use iPad only, will not take laptop this time.

I'd ditch the iPad and go e-reader (if you have your phone).

Blog Entries
    If I'm flying, I can pack everything for a five day trip into an overnight bag. If I'm going by car and space isn't an issue, I will take three suitcases, one of them dedicated just to shoes.

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

5. Likes Raza, bolaberlim, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    Yup, I'm migrating this thread. So this was my initial packing list for previous years:

Ppl have replied to the post. But noone has mentioned this.

Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    1 watch
    What kind of watch forum is this?

7. Likes 93EXCivic, geoffbot, synequano liked this post
    Last week was the annual baseball trip, this year to the destitute and scorching burg that is Houston. I brought an exchange of shorts and t shirt, along with some fresh boxers. Also a spartan dopp kit. This all in a light daypack with room to spare. I was worried about having overpacked. And horror of horrors, I saw and ultimately bought a painting while there and dragged it home with me. It might have broken an unwritten code on these trips, but it now remains as the most epic baseball trip souvenir. I imagine someone will have to get a tattoo on one of these trips to top me. But, I'm the only one out of the dozen-plus of us that gets ink, so I think I'm in the clear. Years ago, I might had said someone bringing home the clap or something similar would have been a more noteworthy souvenir, but these days we're all faithfully married with children, making us fairly boring in that regard.

But I digress: for short, casual trips, pack as light as possible. It's not like you're going to the moon: if you need another pair of socks or a shirt, just procure one on your travels.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Blog Entries
    First of all, for a summer vacation, you're woefully underpacking underclothes. I tend to pack 1.25-1.5 sets of undershirts and underwear per day, with a maximum of four extra sets. Sweating sucks, and it blows to be in undershirts that smell. When I went to Europe last summer, I took four extras and used them all.

Of course, if you're going a place where you can do laundry, you don't need as many extras.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I'd ditch the iPad and go e-reader (if you have your phone).
    The iPad is practical, I can use it for reading, gaming and email, it's a iPad mini so the weight is not that high and I'm used to reading on it, so it can do what the reader does and more. The only downside is battery time, but I can charge it every night.

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Ppl have replied to the post. But noone has mentioned this.

What kind of watch forum is this?
    If I take watches my wife will take shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    one of them dedicated just to shoes.

Jeannie
    I know what you mean.