Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will I ever be a one watch guy?

Three maybe, but one while possible has not been in play for over 35 years now.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

I wasn't a one-watch guy even when I was a one-watch guy. I don't think I've ever owned fewer than three or four watches, even when I wasn't "into" watches.

20 years ago, I had a nice Seiko quartz watch (meaning: from a couple of feet away, it looks "nice"), a Swiss Army quartz watch on a NATOish sort of thing, and a Timex Ironman (for my professional timing activities). By ten years ago, I had upgraded the Timex to a Tissot T-Touch, and I bought (on a whim) a Poljot Sturmanskie at a time when I was collecting ex-Soviet photography equipment.

One watch? Nope. Even if I lose interest and divest the collection, I'll keep the better examples to provide some versatility in the collection. But I certainly have not lost interest.

But I travel all the time and often just take one watch. It might be any of several, depending on the activities of the trip and how I'll be dressed. Just as often, though, I take several watches.

Rick "who just bought a three-watch travel case" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

3. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    but if I stayed off IWL it would subside.
    Hold him down

Elsewhere on this planet, I remember having a "wear it for a month" (or for as long as you could) like a touch the truck competition ..... maybe we should have one of those from a beginning of a month , wear the same single watch every day, until it hurts......
    Who's up for it ?
    Last edited by Seriously; Apr 15, 2015 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    I wasn't a one-watch guy even when I was a one-watch guy. I don't think I've ever owned fewer than three or four watches, even when I wasn't "into" watches.

20 years ago, I had a nice Seiko quartz watch (meaning: from a couple of feet away, it looks "nice"), a Swiss Army quartz watch on a NATOish sort of thing, and a Timex Ironman (for my professional timing activities). By ten years ago, I had upgraded the Timex to a Tissot T-Touch, and I bought (on a whim) a Poljot Sturmanskie at a time when I was collecting ex-Soviet photography equipment.

One watch? Nope. Even if I lose interest and divest the collection, I'll keep the better examples to provide some versatility in the collection. But I certainly have not lost interest.

Rick "who just bought a three-watch travel case" Denney
    That went through my mind as I posted the thread couple of days back.

Before I started owning more than 1 watch, I wore the same for a good 7 - 8 years. And only when the first died on me did I then buy my second - as a replacement.

Now that I have varieties, it almost become difficult to just stick with one. What crossed my mind then, perhaps, now that we have options, what seems "logical and right" (owning only one watch) becomes unimaginable. That was one reason that triggered my thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Hold him down

Elsewhere on this planet, I remember having a "wear it for a month" (or for as long as you could) like a touch the truck competition ..... maybe we should have one of those from a beginning of a month , wear the same single watch every day, until it hurts......
    Who's up for it ?
    I already did 11 days - did that count ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Hold him down

Who's up for it ?
    Yeah man - go for it
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Two people completed all of January 2014 with only one watch touching their wrist, with three others getting extremely close

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/one-...my-978601.html

9. Likes whatmeworry liked this post
    Don't think I could do a month. A week sure, but not a month

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Don't think I could do a month. A week sure, but not a month
    There are a couple of watches in my collection I would happily wear for a month if I had to, but by choice I personally wouldn't feel the appeal of the exercise sufficiently to enjoy it.

If someone wants to lend me a Glashutte Original PanoLunar for a month I'm quite prepared to eat my words

12. Likes shemp liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Yeah man - go for it
    Cop out