Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Show me stainless steel dials (please)

  1. #1

    Show me stainless steel dials (please)

    Doing the usual Sunday evening trawl through eBay and sighing over damaged dials....and then it struck me: surely a polished steel dial would stay beautiful for ever and ever? No?

    Anyway, I'm not sure I can recall seeing a SS dial, so, please......

  2. #2
    I'm pretty sure this one has a stainless steel dial. It has a brushed finish that doesn't show up in this photo. Henry has a much better photo of it that shows the dial texture and how the numerals are actually filled engravings.




    This shot almost shows the texture and engraving.


  3. Likes Der Amf, tribe125, Henry Krinkle liked this post
  4. #3
    ^^^^Wow that's fantastic, I had no idea that that dial was bare steel!

    I just chanced upon another I'm sure must be:

    Name:  raketa 2.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  69.7 KB

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    the numerals are actually filled engravings.
    Having a think about that.....it would make doing a dial refurb very very easy.....clean out the paint, rebrush the steel, reapply the paint....

    Hang about, are RGM's hand guilloche dials bare steel too?

    EDIT: answer: no, they're silver
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Der Amf; Apr 19, 2015 at 08:19 PM.

  6. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Having a think about that.....it would make doing a dial refurb very very easy.....clean out the paint, rebrush the steel, reapply the paint....

    Hang about, are RGM's hand guilloche dials bare steel too?

    Name:  rgm 2.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  74.2 KB
    I believe most of their dials are made out of solid silver. I don't see that information on their website (unless it is in a video). Glancing through the gallery, it does look like some of their models use a brushed steel dial.

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I believe most of their dials are made out of solid silver. I don't see that information on their website (unless it is in a video). Glancing through the gallery, it does look like some of their models use a brushed steel dial.
    Gah, I edited my post just too late I found a piece on RGM on aBlogToWatch that said they were silver.

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I'm pretty sure this one has a stainless steel dial. It has a brushed finish that doesn't show up in this photo. Henry has a much better photo of it that shows the dial texture and how the numerals are actually filled engravings.
    Brian- It`s because I underexpose everything. Always.

    This one clearly shows the texture and kind of shows the engraving:

    zP1010633 by hankblanc, on Flickr

    This one clearly shows the engraving and almost shows the texture:

    aP1010596 by hankblanc, on Flickr

    Rado nmade a number of models with polished steel dial variants. I seem to think Scott might have one...

  10. Likes Der Amf, FuzzyB, iyonk, gnuyork liked this post
  11. #8
    Forgot about this one:

    Chrome case, steel dial.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Apr 19, 2015 at 10:00 PM.

  12. Likes Der Amf, FuzzyB, iyonk, geoffbot liked this post
  13. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    ^^^^Wow that's fantastic, I had no idea that that dial was bare steel!

    I just chanced upon another I'm sure must be:

    Name:  raketa 2.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  69.7 KB
    I have its twin. (not the mesh...just the watch)
    La lutte elle-mme vers les sommets suffit remplir un cur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

  14. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Brian- It`s because I underexpose everything. Always.
    And your pictures look a lot better because of it. I tend to overexpose and never take the time to correct it. I need more practice. And better lighting to start with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us