Likes Likes:  408
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Saturday - 18 April 2020 »»»»»»»»»

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    That creeps higher and higher into the “buy me” list every time I see it. That may soon cross into the “plan to buy” list.
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    That’s how it worked for me. The three-hander had been on a mental list for years, but CFR’s photos had me looking for one RIGHT NOW.

There's a 3 hander on WUS right now without accessories (and assume needing a service at some point due to age) for around a kilobuck. If CFR hadn't used his great pics of the Fortis to force me to buy the B-42 GMT, I would be tempted.

2. Likes hayday, CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mention of Air-Kings on here has made me wonder about the one that I bought and sold fairly quickly.

Attachment 96205

Attachment 96206

It was just a bit too small, and the unfinished case between the lugs annoyed me a bit. I put it on an aftermarket bracelet, and then that annoyed me too - because it was aftermarket. The dial was refinished, and although I’m not a purist in that respect, I was conscious of it.

And to be perfectly frank, I think I probably bought it because I couldn’t afford an Explorer.

All round, not a recipe for a satisfying purchase.
    Luckily, the size of the older models and design of the new model keeps my wallet safe. But if they did a vintage-style dial in the new case or in a 39mm case, I’d be screwed. Especially if it were less expensive than an OP39.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

5. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I think I’m getting old, because over the last year or so, I started looking at Air Kings and saying things like “Oh, that’s beautiful” and “I’d love one of those”.
    I know I AM old, because this style of watch is how I picture "wristwatch" in its archetypal form. I am pretty certain that you would find this too small for your wrist, Raza. At 34mm it's even on the small side of my collection, and I love smaller watches.

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    The only Rolex model and era I’ve seriously considered
    I love its understated tech, practicality and quiet elegance
    Just class
    As you know, Kath, a few of us here share a fondness for stealthy humble understated watches. Of all the Rolex models in their history, this one is probably least recognized and least coveted, and even at the time it was marketed as the entry level of their line. I'm not sure why, but I find that attractive.

Mention of Air-Kings on here has made me wonder about the one that I bought and sold fairly quickly.
    And to be perfectly frank, I think I probably bought it because I couldn’t afford an Explorer. ...
    All round, not a recipe for a satisfying purchase.

I remember your quick cycle through the Air-King, Alan. It occurred to me that I prefer the silver dialed version. I find it much easier to read, for one thing - but then I guess I usually prefer light dials. I also strongly prefer straps to bracelets, and the older Air-Kings are among the few Rolos sold mostly with straps. If I were to buy a modern Explorer 1, I would probably end up taking the bracelet off, and people would consider that sacrilege. Regarding prices, I simply prefer not to wear something that people perceive as expensive. Unfortunately, it's the only brand that everyone immediately recognizes as expensive. Finding something stealthy like this for $1000 at an estate auction lands it right in the range of play-money for me. A purchase takes a more serious turn when it climbs into the $5-6k range. I ponder those prices, but something in me still resists that level, just to fuel a hobby/addiction. For that reason I end up wearing a half dozen $1k watches instead of one $6k watch (not to mention all the affordables...) As soon as something seems like a status symbol, it's a bit of a turn-off to me.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Just before the Air-King, I did quite well at ‘low cost / low key’.

Name:  C5100FFE-4C80-4E36-BB49-51D425B3F737.jpeg
Views: 101
Size:  155.2 KB

Name:  E887E692-A9BD-46FB-AE63-E07575598BFF.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  54.1 KB

I think the Tissot was something daft, like £150. I can’t remember precisely, but the IWC was somewhere between £600 and £700, once I’d converted zlotys to pounds. I hope I didn’t sell the IWC to fund the Air-King! I don’t think I could have been that silly...

How I've spent most of the past 5 weeks. Name:  20200418_174151.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  79.9 KB
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    What's your pooch's name? How is he/she dealing with you being home all the time?

Several animal behaviorists over here have opined that pets will have trouble re-adjusting when their owners go back to work down the road...

10. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Seiko

Cheers,

Chris

Can't work out why woofy looking away. Miffed , miffed at what's he got on , miffed at last he's something on

What's the red leaf shrub btw , and rhubarb in a pot . no ...

Blog Entries

The only difference is, today you have pants on.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

14. Likes hayday, CFR, geoffbot liked this post