Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real watch geeks don't wind ... apparently?

Post Real watch geeks don't wind ... apparently?

A friend sent me a link to this:

https://www.gq.com/story/do-you-need...-on-your-watch

GQ article.

On the one hand, it's perfectly true that anyone wearing a mechanical watch in the days of quartz and radio waves cannot have accuracy as their primary consideration. However, the idea of wearing a non functioning watch because of other considerations just seems to be a bit odd,even lazy, to me. If I'm going to wear a storied watch with a beautiful movement, like so:

Then, while I personally don't mind if the rest of the watch looks like it has been attacked by a swarm of heavily armed bees, the movement has to be moving with precision.

But I'm curious as to how many 'watch heads' would be happy to wear an immaculate, but broken or unwound watch?

Absolute rubbish!
    I set my watch when I remove it from the case for wearing, and only wear ones that are running accurately.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

3. Likes Mediocre, Tim., Strange liked this post
    Stoopid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

5. Likes Mediocre, Strange liked this post
    Always set the time. Admittedly sometimes I neglect the date. Otherwise just buy a bracelet.

7. Likes hayday, Strange liked this post
    I don’t even like non-functioning décor clocks in bars and restaurants.

I do have a small non-functioning clock that was sold to Concorde passengers as a souvenir, but only because I can’t get it apart to install a fresh battery. I did once think of passing it on to you actually, should we ever meet again.

9. Likes Matt liked this post
    ^^^

Blimey - I’ve just seen that they go for £150 on the internet. Mine doesn’t have the suede pouch, though.

Name:  IMG_9505.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  IMG_9506.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  93.8 KB

It would bother the crap out of me, but I know some of the younger generation (the few who have mechanical watches) do this.

OTOH…

https://timeandtidewatches.com/as-us...tell-the-time/

12. Likes Matt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I don’t even like non-functioning décor clocks in bars and restaurants.

I do have a small non-functioning clock that was sold to Concorde passengers as a souvenir, but only because I can’t get it apart to install a fresh battery. I did once think of passing it on to you actually, should we ever meet again.
    I'm sure we shall and any time you want to meet to drink something somewhere, then give me a shout.

I bet I can get it apart... It's getting it together again you should be worrying about. However, by now I suspect that you will find that the old battery has done all the damage I ever could.

Back to the subject in hand, I couldn't think of anyone I knew who would wear a broken watch. The people quoted are either making pragmatic points, or seem to be 'in the business' rather than actual WIS, so I'm not so surprised at the way this is going here.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    It would bother the crap out of me, but I know some of the younger generation (the few who have mechanical watches) do this.

OTOH…

https://timeandtidewatches.com/as-us...tell-the-time/

OK, those are all quite cool, especially the last one - although setting the time on it would be an interesting challenge, while the idea of it telling the wrong time would do my head in.

15. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Sounds dumb. But, the other day I put my hand wind forum watch on, set the time and didn't realise that I hadn't wound it and it was showing the wrong time up until like 7 hours later so....
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague