Okay, all these years of watch collecting, and I still don't have a Submariner. I know there IS no SUBstitue, and an homage will probably just make me more motivated to get the real thing (see, there is a madness to my method!). But I've not made it a priority in my budget, so it's not happening soon.

That said, there are so many out there with a similar look that are outright bargains, I just wonder if I should bite the bullet a bit and pick one up. I've seen the Alpha watches, certainly affordable, and not "pretending" at all to be Swiss. The O&Ws of Howard Marx's WestCoasTime are certainly a nice option, genuine Swiss with some available with a bit of red on the dial (like that look) and even some with sapphire crystals (this may end up as a work watch, working construction). A bit more pricey an option, but still quite affordable (maybe I'll feel less "guilty"?).

Then there is Invicta. I know this is a hot button brand for many. Swiss? Says so. Some (many) have been known to bend the truth or outright lie to make a buck. But I have to say, I've seen them in the field, on various construction projects over the years. They never seem to fail to catch my eye. I think "is that a Rxxxx"? As I get closer the difference becomes obvious, but it seems something about them (is it a high polish?) just grabs my eye nearly every time.

Of course there are many others I've not mentioned above, feel free to toss in their name (or a pic!) if you feel it's a good option.

So, which Sub homage to buy? (I hear some of the Rollie owners in unison already, saying "None"- understandable). But if yes, which one, and why?