Likes Likes:  105
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: When the Cost of Service Exceeds the "Value" of a Watch

I feel your pain. Very stressful.

Tell your wife, for the sake of your health, you need to buy very expensive watches so the service costs look reasonable.

2. Likes Ryan, movet22 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I feel your pain. Very stressful.

Tell your wife, for the sake of your health, you need to buy very expensive watches so the service costs look reasonable.
    Haha! Yes! It's the only reasonable thing to do after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    RGM. I've never used them before though, and this is my first go around having watches repaired/serviced.
    Wonderful folks, and highly expert. But they are not the cheapest. I've you just want it to run reasonably well without destroying itself, there are other options.

Rick "who pays about half that to have vintage autos serviced" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

5. Likes Ryan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Wonderful folks, and highly expert. But they are not the cheapest. I've you just want it to run reasonably well without destroying itself, there are other options.

Rick "who pays about half that to have vintage autos serviced" Denney
    Thanks, Rick. Who would you recommend? Who's your go-to watchmaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I know this is a joke, but I have to be honest, it's not the craziest thinking in the world.

For example, my 16610 Submariner is due up for service in 2 years, that service will cost ~600 USD (assuming I do not opt for a new crystal, bezel ect... which I will not be doing). 600 USD is ~10% of the value. I can live with that, because (even if I didn't receive the watch for a special occasion) by the time I've paid 1200-1800 USD in service, I'll have had the watch long enough to develop an insoluble bond with it. This doesn't justify the price, per se, but it does lend a dubious tick to the 'pro' column of buying a higher end piece.

The same cannot be said for my 1979 Seiko BellMatic, which has recently stopped running. At 150 USD, the cost to repair would be prohibitive to buying a new one. I haven't had it long enough to lose any sleep over that proposition, alas, out she goes.

I think what I am trying to say here is, do the smart thing: buy expensive
    Life is better parenthetically.

Zenith - Rolex - Frédérique Constant - Nomos - Orient - Burberry

8. Likes Der Amf, Ryan, Colin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by movet22 View Post

I'm convinced.

I know this is a joke, but I have to be honest, it's not the craziest thinking in the world.

For example, my 16610 Submariner is due up for service in 2 years, that service will cost ~600 USD (assuming I do not opt for a new crystal, bezel ect... which I will not be doing). 600 USD is ~10% of the value. I can live with that, because (even if I didn't receive the watch for a special occasion) by the time I've paid 1200-1800 USD in service, I'll have had the watch long enough to develop an insoluble bond with it. This doesn't justify the price, per se, but it does lend a dubious tick to the 'pro' column of buying a higher end piece.

The same cannot be said for my 1979 Seiko BellMatic, which has recently stopped running. At 150 USD, the cost to repair would be prohibitive to buying a new one. I haven't had it long enough to lose any sleep over that proposition, alas, out she goes.

Makes sense.

I'm not sure I understand this because Bell-Matics are vintage watches and will require maintenance (if they haven't been serviced already). If I were in your shoes, I'd try get your watch serviced because you'll likely have to service your next Bell-Matic, if you buy one. Yes, it will probably cost more than you paid for the watch, but you have to pay to play the game. People tend to run Seikos into the ground, and that isn't a winning formula because parts aren't readily available.
    Last edited by Imitation of Life; Aug 12, 2015 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    In this case, however, what would you do? Consider the following:

I've got a contemporary, readily available watch that can't be wound; it doesn't work.

My wife admittedly bought it below MSRP two or three years ago. MSRP is $395 and I understand it can be purchased new at ADs for between $300 and $350.

The watchmakers are quoting me a "discounted" price of $425 to do the repair and overhaul the movement.

Considering only the above, the money stuff and abstract values like worth and sentimentality aside, what do you think? What would you do?
    I would buy a new one and take your wife out for a nice dinner with the money you saved and make a new memory.

13. Likes Ryan, Colin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Imitation of Life View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this because Bell-Matics are vintage watches and will require maintenance (if they haven't been serviced already). If I were in your shoes, I'd try get your watch serviced because you'll likely have to service your next Bell-Matic, if you buy one. Yes, it will probably cost more than you paid for the watch, but you have to pay to play the game. People tend to run Seikos into the ground, and that isn't a winning formula because parts aren't readily available.
    You are absolutely right. And what I omitted to include in that example was that I won't be turning to another vintage BellMatic, but rather a something like a vintage Girard Perregaux alarm, or perhaps a Memovox. Something that will cost more, but give me less pause about servicing in the future.
    Life is better parenthetically.

Zenith - Rolex - Frédérique Constant - Nomos - Orient - Burberry