Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Old Conway.

My Old Conway.

Old timers will remember that my first Rado collection, and other watches was stolen around 2010. Of all the watches stolen I really only miss two, maybe three; my Father in Laws wartime Gruen, the maybe is the translucent dialed Manhattan and the third is my humble Conway. The Conway was of course one of Rado's two entry level 1970s watches, alongside the Companion.

Between 1969 and 1980 there were no less than 40 different references of the Conway released. Total production was in excess of 300,00 Conways

Name:  conway.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  285.6 KB

Name:  conway2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  292.1 KB

Name:  conway move.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  299.3 KB

Mine, a reference 625. 3157.4 had a production run of 10,000. It seems odd that in all my time collecting Rados I've never seen another. If I did see one in anywhere near the condition mine was in, I'd snap it up. I am still quite fond of that fairly ugly and unique case shape with the hidden crown and lugs.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Nov 18, 2022 at 04:47 AM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

2. Likes Tim., earl of farnborough, pratama liked this post
    Just for referencethis was my FiLs Gruen Lexington and a WWII era advert.

Name:  gruen v-thin.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  Gruen.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  104.4 KB

4. Likes Tim. liked this post
    For an entry level watch it's quite ornate, I like it.

6. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Your first collection was just before my time as I joined EoT in June 2011.
    I can't believe that we have never discussed your old Conway, I think that this is the first time I have seen it, but I'll be looking out for one from now on.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

8. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    For an entry level watch it's quite ornate, I like it.
    The markers were quite spectacular as was the translucent prismatic dial.

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    Your first collection was just before my time as I joined EoT in June 2011.
    I can't believe that we have never discussed your old Conway, I think that this is the first time I have seen it, but I'll be looking out for one from now on.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Not all the references are that unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Old timers will remember that my first Rado collection, and other watches was stolen around 2010. Of all the watches stolen I really only miss two, maybe three; my Father in Laws wartime Gruen, the maybe is the translucent dialed Manhattan and the third is my humble Conway. The Conway was of course one of Rado's two entry level 1970s watches, alongside the Companion.

Between 1969 and 1980 there were no less than 40 different references of the Conway released. Total production was in excess of 300,00 Conways

Name:  conway.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  285.6 KB

Name:  conway2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  292.1 KB

Name:  conway move.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  299.3 KB

Mine, a reference 625. 3157.4 had a production run of 10,000. It seems odd that in all my time collecting Rados I've never seen another. If I did see one in anywhere near the condition mine was in, I'd snap it up. I am still quite fond of that fairly ugly and unique case shape with the hidden crown and lugs.
    Name:  IMG_7062.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  303.9 KB
    what about my rado conway can you share any information ? thank you henry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pratama View Post
    Name:  IMG_7062.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  303.9 KB
    what about my rado conway can you share any information ? thank you henry

Do you have a reference number?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Do you have a reference number?
    Name:  IMG_8492.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  275.7 KB
    Ref 1004

Quote Originally Posted by pratama View Post
    Name:  IMG_8492.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  275.7 KB
    Ref 1004

That's a strange ref number. Before the 8 digit number was adopted, mens watches had 5 digit references and womens had 3, 4 and finally 5 digit ones that started with a 0. Further the first two digits on the mens and the first digit or 0 plus the second digit on the womens represents the size in lignes of the movement. This is why most of the 1960s mens Rados reference numbers start with an 11and the womens start with a 7or 07.

The dial and case look correct and I had/have (?) a bracelet just like yours on my Conway 20, so I have no reason to doubt it either.

Assuming that your reference number is anomaly or a re-engraving bysomeone at some point, that Conway would then be from1969 as there wereno new Conway models in 1970. All ofthe conways released in 1969 that only carried the 5 digit reference had production runs of 3000. It would be educated speculation to suggest that that might be the production run of yours as well.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Dec 19, 2022 at 08:39 PM.