Likes Likes:  407
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a birthyear-watch or do you fancy one? Post pics and/or suggestions here!

I don't have one, yet. What would you suggest for 1947? Would this one be appropriate?
    Name:  Patek1947.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  7.0 KB
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

2. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    I'm with Sherry - it's almost depressing to see how young most of you are ......

Don't have a birthyear watch yet and my hunt i snot very successful. Looking for the usual suspects: DateJust, Cal.89, Connie, Seamaster, ..... More often than not it's difficult to determine the exact age, so I had convinced myself that the Hi-Beat 50th Anniversary GS would be a good alternative as it was released in the year that I too turned 50. Only to find out how few were actually released and I never managed to land one:

Name:  GrandSeiko_SBGH015_50th_Anniv_2.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  76.3 KBName:  GrandSeiko_SBGH015_50th_Anniv_8.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  66.0 KB

For years, I've been chasing a birthyear motorcycle too but have by now given up on that idea. This is the one I had in mind (because Vincent ceased production 2 years prior to my arrival and MV, Gilera and the likes are too far out of my reach):

Name:  R27 (1962 -4).jpg
Views: 131
Size:  217.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by I-B
    I used to have one, untill some lowlife scum broke in to my house and ripped of my watchcollection. I had the 1975 Fortis Marine Master Super Compressor.
    I remember the day your house was raided, Ben - too bad your K9 friends were not on duty that day ....
    Fortis MarineMaster has been on my list for quite a while; I recently saw one and never realized the height of the crystal:

Name:  Fortis_MarineMaster_1975_2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  55.3 KB

Do you or any of the experts now if these were originally fitted and if yes, was it mineral or hesalite? I've also seen several with a flat sapphire (?) crystal and now wonder if that's an aftermarket mod?

Note: all 4 pictures above are lifted from the www

PS - if I had only seen this thread a little sooner / reacted a wee bit faster. I have now squandered the unique opportunity for the post-number to match my birthyear
    Last edited by MHe225; Apr 2, 2015 at 10:53 PM.
    IWL member 90

4. Likes I-B, bu11itt, OhDark30, mlcor, Domo, iyonk, rfortson liked this post
    Although this is a modern version, the original Mido Commander was from my birth year,1959. If I ever come across an original in good shape, I'd consider purchasing it.

Name:  Mido2.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  63.7 KB

6. Likes MHe225, iyonk, rfortson liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    I don't have one, yet. What would you suggest for 1947? Would this one be appropriate?
    Name:  Patek1947.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  7.0 KB

look back at my post ! similar but without the bling

I'd really like one of these for my birth year watch. Cream dial Rolex Explorer II

9. Likes synequano liked this post

11. Likes synequano, uchinanchu, rfortson liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bu11itt View Post
    Maybe you could, uh, I don't know, uh, pick a-another brand...

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post

I remember the day your house was raided, Ben - too bad your K9 friends were not on duty that day ....

Yeah, they would have taken care of the intruder(s?) if they were at home. Especially the Akita can be a fierce dog when it comes to strangers. He never barks or grawls, he just bites. The Ambull barks, the Leonberger welcomes everybody and the Lab most likeley brings her ball (altough she can be edgy too sometimes, especially when she is in the car)

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Fortis MarineMaster has been on my list for quite a while; I recently saw one and never realized the height of the crystal:

Name:  Fortis_MarineMaster_1975_2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  55.3 KB

Do you or any of the experts now if these were originally fitted and if yes, was it mineral or hesalite? I've also seen several with a flat sapphire (?) crystal and now wonder if that's an aftermarket mod?

Mine was Hesalite, bit i think the older models used acrylic. My crystal was "substantional", but i cant remember it to be as bulky as the one in your picture. The MM is one of those watches that changed continues troug out its career. Some had painted markers, other had applied markers, things like that changed alot on the MM. The case is relative sleek with it's 9mm, so it might be a case of "trompe l'oeil". Here is a webpic from the side:
    Name:  20130210_121043.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  47.6 KB

I think (i'm not sure about it tough) that flat crystal is a mod, just like they do with the plexi from Rolex...
    Last edited by I-B; Apr 3, 2015 at 09:05 AM.

14. Likes MHe225 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Chris:

16. Likes I-B, synequano, Domo, vinylgreek, theague liked this post
    Were any of those funky 70's Omega chronographs still made in 81?